No.18 Barristers Chambers currently requires a full time Junior Clerk to join its dynamic team. The successful applicant can expect a salary of up to £20k per annum + Commission based on relevant experience. We are seeking a clerk with an efficient professional manner, a good standard of education and proven communication skills.
The main areas of law covered within Chambers are Family, Chancery, Commercial, Employment, Property, PI & Clinical Negligence, Immigration and Public Access. On a day to day basis the role will include assisting in managing the diaries of members of chambers and you will have the full support of your line manager. You will also take an active role in the practice development of the members along with their continued marketing and business development. Previous experience as a Barristers Clerk is desirable but not essential.
Duties will include but are not restricted to:
- Providing general support to the Senior Clerk as and when required in all aspects of clerking members
- Dealing with incoming and out going post & DX
- Acting as a point of contact to members for their administrative support
- Liaising with solicitor clients to arrange conferences and general appointments including the fixing of cases in courts and tribunals and have the ability to handle difficult diary problems that may arise
- Accurately recording data on Meridan software to ensure all records are up to date and therefore detailed knowledge of Meridan is desirable.
- Maintaining and developing effective relationships with solicitor clients
- Having the ability to negotiate fees and allocate work to members without the supervision or prior authorisation of the Senior Clerk in appropriate circumstances
- A knowledge of civil/Family fees including CFA’s and dealing with Public Access cases would be desirable
- Assist in billing family fees under the Family Advocacy Scheme
- Assist in billing using the LAA’s online billing Client Cost Management System (CCMS);
- Assist in managing and re-submission of rejected claims to the LAA.
- Understanding and applying the Equality and Diversity code, as this applies in respect of your duties in clerking members
- Playing an active and influential role in the future success of Chambers
It is desirable, although not essential as training will be given, that applicants have some experience of managing diaries and negotiating fee’s with clients. Other desired experience would be a good working knowledge of the range of family/civil funding including Immigration fees, conditional fees and High Cost legal aid cases and an understanding of the Meridian system. The successful applicant will be:
- Ambitious and motivated and used to working within a commercially focused team providing a bespoke service to members and clients
- A confident communicator with an ability to develop client relationships and generate new work streams
- Well presented with excellent organisational skills
- Calm and efficient under pressure
If you have the desired requisites and wish to join a progressive and extremely busy clerking team then please submit your application in strictest confidence to Mark Windebank, Senior Clerk at No 18 Barristers Chambers, 21 Carlton Crescent, Southampton SO15 2ET or on firstname.lastname@example.org by the 31st December 2018