Atkin Chambers, a leading set specialising in high end commercial work, is seeking to appoint a junior clerk. The position will report to one of Chambers’ Practice Managers.
The Junior Clerk’s duties will include the following:
- Supporting the clerking team in the administration of barristers’ work by entering relevant case data into LEX, chambers’ electronic diary and finance system.
- Running reports from LEX to provide financial and marketing analysis data to inform chambers’ business planning.
- Preparation of hard copy and electronic bundles from papers submitted by the barristers’ clients.
- Assisting the barristers with the delivery of their documents and legal matter to and from court and other venues attended by barristers for hearings.
- Assisting the barristers with their administrative requirements in preparation for court hearings.
- Sourcing case authorities, both hard and soft copies from legal libraries. Chambers has its own library but for certain information barristers rely on legal libraries outside of chambers.
- Overseeing the operations of the print and stationary room to include copying, faxing, printing, stocking of machines and ordering of stationery in a timely manner.
- Dealing with post as required to include sorting and delivery to the barristers’ rooms, recording of outgoing post onto chambers’ DX system, delivery of mail to the post office etc.
- Destruction of all confidential waste to include liaising with external suppliers as necessary to ensure that there is no opportunity for disclosure of confidential client material.
- Payment of cheques received for barristers into the barristers’ bank accounts.
- As and when required to do so to assist with the general running of Chambers including organising supplies and maintenance, support services, quality monitoring, health and safety and external and internal bookings.
- Such other tasks commensurate with the position that you might be asked to complete from time to time.
Knowledge, experience and education
- Two A-levels or equivalent
- Have obtained at grade C or above GCSEs in Maths and English
- Sound understanding of Word and Excel
- Well presented, articulate and able to explain complex issues clearly
- Good team player
- Demonstrable written skills
Salary £22,000 per annum (an interest free season ticket loan, suit allowance and private health care will be provided after the successful completion of a 3 month probation period).
Closing date for applications: 5pm, Thursday 17th January 2019.
Apply with a short covering letter and CV to Justin Wilson, Senior Clerk, Atkin Chambers, 1 Atkin Buildings, Gray’s Inn, London, WC1R 5AH or by email to email@example.com
Atkin Chambers is an equal opportunities employer.